SEARCH OUR SITE

Thousands of children are accidentally poisoned each year.  Any non-food item is a potential poison.  Normal children will explore the world by putting anything and everything into the mouth, even if it doesn’t taste good.  It is the responsibility of every adult to make sure that children are not exposed to potentially toxic substances.

FOR ADVICE CONCERNING ACCIDENTAL POISONING, CALL IMMEDIATELY:

POISON INFORMATION CENTER

STATEWIDE……..1-800-292-6678

NATIONWIDE…………..1-800-222-1222

The following guidelines against poisoning will help prevent the majority of accidental poisonings in the home:

1.  Request “safety-lock” tops on all prescription drugs.  Realize that some children can open even “child-proof” caps. 

2.  Keep household cleaners, bug sprays, medicines, and garage products out of reach and out of sight from your child.  Lock these products up whenever possible.

3.  Never store food and household cleaners together.

4.  Always store medicines in their original containers and throw out medicines no longer in use.  Avoid putting dangerous chemical into soft drink bottles, cans, or cups.

5.  Do not take medicines in front of your child because children love to imitate “Mommy” and “Daddy.”

6.  Never call medicine candy.

7.  Read the label before taking medicine.  Never take medicine that is not labeled for you or is not labeled at all.  Never take medicine in the dark.

8.  If you are interrupted while using a medicine or a household product, take it with you.  It only takes a few seconds for your child to get into it.

9.  Anticipate what your child will do.  For example, if you have a crawling infant, keep household products stored above the floor level and not beneath the kitchen sink.

10.  Be alert for repeat poisoning.  A child who has swallowed a poison is more likely to attempt it again within a year.

11.  Keep the phone numbers of you doctor, the poison center, hospital, and police near the telephone.  The statewide tool-free number of the Children’s Hospital Poison Information Center is 1-800-292-6678.

12.  If your child swallows a poison, contact the poison center immediately.  They will instruct you to call us if necessary.

Poison Proofing Your Home

<<Back

© 2008 Pediatric © 2004 Pediatric Healthcare - All rights reserved